Greenland photo by Paul Lomatschinsky http://www.itftuk.com
SUSAN RICHARDSON and SIOBHAN LOGAN use poetry, storytelling and multi-media performance to evoke the unique appeal of one of the planet's last great wildernesses. Having experienced this landscape first-hand, they explore the heritage of the Arctic from indigenous peoples and Viking women to European explorers. They also highlight the fragility of this landscape at a time of climate change. The Polar Poets can offer performances, talks and workshops for adults or children on these themes.

Contact: polarpoets@googlemail.com


Polar Poets EVENTS 2011

Arctic-ulate in Manchester

John Rylands Library Deansgate
Sat. Dec. 3rd 2011
2 - 4 Creative Writing workshop FREE
6 - 7.30pm 'Arctic-ulate' show FREE
pre-booking essential for both events
on 0161 306 0555 or

Monday 11 January 2010

Interview: Penguin Letters

Our Polar Poets launch has given us the chance to interview each other for this blog. Today, I get to pose 6 questions to Susan. (On Thursday, she returns the favour.) Fascinated by her travels round Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, I wanted to know more about that journey.

Q. What first got you interested in visiting the Arctic/sub-Arctic? How did you get there?

I was teaching a course called Intrepid Women Travellers at Cardiff University when I first came across a reference to a tenth/eleventh century female Viking called Gudrid. I quickly became fascinated by her. Later, I was lucky enough to get funding (a Churchill Memorial Travel Fellowship) to follow in Gudrid’s footsteps and to write a book both about her journeys, and my own. I travelled through the sub-Arctic/Arctic in various ways – by plane, bus, boat, plus I also sailed on a replica Viking boat.

Q. Tell us about these Viking women. Were you able to visit places they lived in?

Gudrid is in my opinion, one of the most intrepid women in world history! I spent several weeks in her birthplace on the Snaefelsnes Peninsula in Iceland, explored the area she farmed in Greenland and also visited the Norse ruins on the north-western tip of Newfoundland which are believed by many to be the settlement she co-founded with her husband, Karlsefni.



Q. What is it with you and penguins? (They feature heavily in the poems.) Did you get to see penguins - or any arctic wildlife?

Penguins don't live in the Arctic - though I saw caribou, moose, a variety of whales and dolphins, sea birds galore and black bears in Newfoundland. However when reading polar explorers’ narratives, I started to have a series of very bizarre dreams in which penguins prominently featured. In one recurring dream, for example, a large penguin kept being delivered through my letterbox. And in another, I was actually metamorphosising, night-by-night, into an Emperor Penguin! So it was only a matter of time before penguins began waddling their way into my poems as well as into my dreams.

Q. Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland. What was your most striking impression of each place?

Iceland – the landscape, especially the area around Gudrid’s birthplace, located on a wild and windswept peninsula at the foot of a now dormant volcano, topped by a cap of ice.
Greenland – the weather. I was in the southwest fjord region where Gudrid lived, during the summer, but I hadn’t expected the weather to be so stable or so warm (up to 20 degrees on some days). And the mosquitoes – I’d come across on a previous Arctic journey, to Finnish Lapland, but the Greenland mosquitoes were particularly persistent.
Newfoundland – the warmth and hospitality of the people and the fact that conversations I expected to last for twenty minutes would often still be going strong four hours later!

Q. What was it like to be in the middle of all that ice? Was it melting? What was the light like?

I was often on the fringes, rather than in the middle, of the ice, but I saw, and heard talk of, lots of evidence of rapid melt, which was very alarming from an environmental point of view. Some of the icebergs I saw were exquisite in terms of their shapes and colour – often the most brilliant shade of blue.

Q. Your last sequence of poems went south, to revisit the story of Scott and his men in Antarctica. What was the appeal of this story? Any chance of following in their footsteps?

I have always wanted to go to Antarctica – and have been fascinated by the Scott story and the debate as to whether he was a polar hero or an incompetent fool since I was a child. However, I’ve become increasingly mindful of the impact of global travel on climate change so regretfully, I don’t think I’ll be going south in the near future.




PS many thanks again to Paul Lomatschinsky for these gorgeous aerial photos of Greenland - spectacular!

7 comments:

  1. Maybe Sue, you were being ahead of the curve when the penguin fascination started to develop, judging by how subsequently their efforts to survive (narrated by Morgan Freeman) and 'Surf's up' brought the little waddling ones to mass media focus?

    Your poem about a penguin's point of view of Cardiff city life certainly predated the above by several years.

    Perhaps you can make one last long haul flight to the Falkland Islands, where (according to reports) penguins watch planes fly over so intently that they fall over onto their backs, en masse, in perfect synchronicity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'penguins watch planes fly over so intently that they fall over onto their backs, en masse, in perfect synchronicity?'

    wow! that I would like to see! thank you for the image, Bill.

    siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,

    Yes, it was quite strange to have already written a batch of penguin poems, only to find that the rest of the world was suddenly becoming fascinated in them too. I'd forgotten about the Cardiff penguin poem - thanks for reminding me! That's the oldest one of all, I think.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really exciting new venture, Susan and Siobhan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the plug on your blog, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose it's easier for me to remember a particular poem of yours from way back when than for you to have instant total recall of one piece among the hundreds (thousands?) of poetry related things you've done since that city of culture slam in Bristol almost a DECADE ago (yikes!). Still dabbling in the verse form, helping to organise a show at the local YMCA in March and will be doing some stuff for it, but though I approach things as intensely as I ever did, still 'amateur'. Not sure what to do for it, but want to do something new, and have a half formed idea for for an extended piece with 'mini' interludes of character sketches built around the concept of 'Night of the Living Drunks'

    Siobhan, glad the image of the penguins amused! If I remember rightly, prankster pilots deliberately fly over the penguins to make it happen. Which is probably slightly cruel, but definitely one of the more comic results of humankind meeting nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary, indeed, to think how long ago that Bristol Slam was...

    Keep me posted on your YMCA show.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete